In Nigeria today, Ember months are known for high accident/incident rates. Well, for those who may not know what Ember months mean, these are the last months of the year comprising of September, October, November, and December. Ember months usually come with gradual subsiding of the rains and encroachment of the Harmattan haze. These Harmattan hazes fuel fire outbreak in marketplaces, offices, worship centers, farms, bushes, etc. As part of our commitment towards the safety of lives and property of Nigerians during these Ember months, Deslog Energy Services Limited has designed simple precautionary measures you need to take. Now, let’s examine these 5 safety measures to adopt during Ember months.
1. Road safety: Ember months come with high rates of car crashes. Therefore, Deslog Energy Services Limited encourages all Nigerians to observe these road safety measures:
2. Electrical safety: Ember months always record high rates of electrical fire outbreaks in public places like markets, church, malls, homes, etc. Electrical fires are often difficult to control. Therefore, you must adopt these electrical safety measures to avoid fire outbreak:
3. Safe use of fuels: Fuels are materials which could ignite fire outbreak if not properly handled. They exist in solid (as in papers), liquid (like kerosene) and gaseous (as in cooking gas) forms. Gases and liquids have high ignition temperatures than solids because their atoms are in constant motion – meaning they are more likely to expedite fire outbreak. So, we at Deslog Energy Services Limited strongly believe that safe use of fuels must be one of your 5 safety measures to adopt during Ember months. Therefore:
4. Fire Safety: Fire is one of the major causes of accident during Ember months because the air becomes dryer, thus encouraging chain reaction of fire. Take these simple steps to prevent fire outbreak and/or control fire if there is a fire outbreak:
5. Reorient your mind: Some Nigerians, most especially commercial bus drivers, believe that Ember months are a reminder that it is time to double their hustle, if you will, and make more money in order to impress their loved ones. These people need attitude change in this regard. At Deslog Energy Services Limited, lives and property of Nigerians matter to us so those with this Ember month misconception towards making money must change it now. Ember months will always come and if you don’t make it this year, you can try next year IF you are alive and healthy. As a driver, in order to avoid exposing yourself to avoidable road mishaps occasioned by the quest to “make it” before Christmas, you need to change your attitude towards Ember months and making money.
As part of our corporate social responsibility at Deslog Energy Services Limited, we have mapped out these 5 safety measures to adopt during Ember months for all staff, partners, associates, clients and by extension all Nigerians. These safety tips are viable and reliable. Enlighten your colleagues and loved ones with these tips. Make safety a watchword these Ember months so that we will have a healthy nation. Furthermore, ensure you adopt these safety measures in your market, office, church, mosque, school, etc. This is because the desire to build the Nigeria of our collective dreams is only achievable if we have citizens with sound minds and health. Safety is everyone’s business and responsibility, and you must take it seriously today! Stay safe and enjoy these Ember months!
Written by: Ifeanyi Nwokorie
081 374 77086